Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not falling too far from the tree

The teaching season is coming to a close. I had left my house by 6:15 to ride up to the Allstate site in Northbrook, IL. The sun wasn't up but the sky was displaying wonderful pre-sunrise colors. As I enjoyed the 50 mile ride up the Tri State Tollway, I began to think about my father. At least for the last 15 or so years, my father worked full time for the City of Champaign and part time as the golf pro for Blue Needles Golf Course. Beside the day job, he has consistently worked at the golf course several evenings and much of the weekend each week once the snow cleared from the fairways.

So I had a small sense of pride as teaching the motorcycle classes has made my life closer in line with my father. I know that he has been in a position to help me at times and make his own life better by supplementing his salary with the second job. A good portion of this years MC class money has went in the director of my daughter and granddaughters as well as my son. With the class money, I would have only been able to say "sorry I don't have anything to help you with."

Like my father, at least our second jobs are things that we enjoy, even if it is work.

1 comment:

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Sometimes I open my mouth and hear my parents come out of it. This seems to happen the older and older I get!